The Edinburgh Fair Trade City Steering Group seeks enthusiastic and willing volunteers to help with the delivery of fair trade promotion events and, most specifically, their annual Festival.
The next takes place on Saturday 10 March 2018, in Fairtrade Fortnight. The event/s engage with the public and include display and sale of fair trade goods; guest speakers; and can include other attractions. More information can be found here.
Events Volunteer Role Specification
Duties may involve, but not be limited to, the following:
- • Welcome visitors, children and adults
- • Set up displays and decorations from 8:30
- • Welcome speakers to the stage and ask visitors to take action post-event
- • Speak about and promote fair trade
- • Speak about how people can support fair trade
- • Engage visitors with stalls including serving refreshments, quizzes and activities
- • Tidy up post-event and re-pack and load supplies, should be complete by 16:30
At other events, representing the group:
- • Similar to above, but on a smaller scale. This may include looking after a stall and engaging visitors at wider events, some of which are outdoors
- • This may include hosting a public event with a guest speaker
- • Promoting future events, at a time and method which suits you and your schedule
Event Volunteer Person Specification:
Edinburgh Fair Trade City Steering Group are looking for volunteers with the following skills and attributes:
- • Keen interest in fair trade
- • Commitment to promoting key communications, campaigns, and staying on-message
- • Report to the office bearers of the Edinburgh Fairtrade City Steering Group
- • Aged 18 or over
- • Friendly, self-confident
- • Good communication skills – with both adults and children
- • An interest in engaging with the general public and children
- • Good team-working skills
- • Able to work independently
- • Attendance – volunteers are required to commit regularly to events. Approx. four to six times per annum (they are looking to grow the events, and you may be able to help with this).
Volunteers will be supported by the group’s elected office bearers, and other members and volunteers. You should approach office-bearers for support, advice and questions regarding your role.
Please send up to 200 words outlining your:
- • interest in fair trade
- • skills (and any past experience promoting fair trade)
- • contact details
- • note of availability on 10 March 2018
- • send to the Chair of the group: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Edinburgh Fair Trade City Steering Group
Edinburgh attained Fairtrade City status in 2004. This means that Edinburgh Council officially supports fair trade and helps the city work towards agreed fair trade goals. The Edinburgh Fair Trade City Steering Group is a group of people dedicated to promoting fair trade in Edinburgh and further. We are a mix of representatives from fair trade businesses, campaign groups, educational institutions, the City of Edinburgh Council and committed individuals.